A-Level sample papers:
Power and Borders
- What is meant by sovereignty and territorial integrity? 1.1 A short history of the current world international order –The Economist
7.1 – To what extent is the UN successful? Letter to Economist 7.2 – Negative impacts of intervention, the Oxfam Haiti prostitute scandal
Paradox of progress- Excellent read on the future of geopolitics.
Earth’s life support systems
5. The Amazon: ‘The Amazon effect’ ; Albedo and deforestation ; Brazil and the Amazon ; GIS Human impacts ; Water and carbon cycles in the Amazon (A3 sheet) ; Amazon water cycle ppt ; Deforestation impact on water cycle ; Water in the Amazon ppt ; Carbon in the Amazon ppt
7. Arctic Tundra Introduction ppt ; Cycles in the Arctic (A3 sheet) ; Resources ; Management strategies ; Methane release article ; Permafrost thaw: carbon feedback ; Ice Truckers melt! ; Methane release from the permafrost
8. CHANGE IN THE CYCLES; Human impacts on the water cycle ; Urbanisation and the carbon cycle; Change over time ; Combustion ; Human impacts on carbon cycle ; Human impact on carbon cycle ppt; Human influences on the water cycle
11. Management of carbon and water cycles ; Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) ; Boundary Dam CCS Project, Canada ; Role of wetlands in the carbon cycle ; Carbon cap and trade ; The Paris Accord (COP21) ; Synthetic fixing on atmospheric CO2
- Global migration flows
- Inter regional migration flows – North Africa and Middle East to Europe. Lee’s Push- pull model. Economist article on Migration to Europe
- Intra regional migration – movement WITHIN Europe. 3.1 Geofile for Poland case study 3.2 FT article: Effects of EU migration on UK in 5 charts
- Remittances and global development PPT. Spearman’s Rank task. 4.1 Notes and essay task.
- Globalisation leading to the emergence of new source areas and host destinations. Extension task: Chapter from ‘A very short introduction to migration’ 5.1 Economist at 175 article on migration and liberalism
- Growth of young and female migration
- South to South and South to North migration flows. 7.1 Economist article on South to South migration flows
- Conflict and persecution have increased the number of refugees. 8.1 Prep question on global internal displacement of people 2018 8. 2 Panorama programme of Rohingya persecution.
- Changes in national immigration and emigration policies
- Corridors of migrant flows create interdependence between countries – Brazil case study 10.1 Case study sheet
- USA case study – how it influences and drives change in the global migration systems 11.1 Document with all the links for the latest on Trump changing US policy on migration
- Laos case study – LIDC to show how it has limited influence over and restricted response to the global migration system