- The world’s largest container ship, which can carry over 21,000 containers, has docked in the UK. Globalisation in action
2. A large landslide has killed over 100 people in the Sichuan province of China. Professor Dave Petley, has an outline of the possible causes on his blog.
3. Yemen faces the world’s worst cholera outbreak.
4. The rock cycle, illustrated
1. A 6.3 M earthquake struck off the Turkish coast on Tuesday
2. Two recent rockfall events in Coire an’t Sneachda (where year 12 went on a fieldtrip in September) show how the process of weathering and erosion is ongoing.
3. The shocking fire and at the Grenfell tower block this week has raised some difficult questions such as whether a regeneration project may have contributed to the extent of the fire.
This is an incredible video of a debris flow in Illgraben, Switzerland.
Waterspouts created from intense heat given off from lava flow. Kilauea, Hawaii
Map showing the countries where smoking is the leading disease cause of deaths.
Openstreet maps will now update maps to reflect changing plate tectonics.
Ian Cameron (Mr snow patch) has been out visiting the Feith Buidhe slabs on the Cairngorm plateau. There is still some snow up there!
1. Thanks to the sunny weather solar power provided 25% of the UK’s electricity needs on Friday.
2. An extra layer of tectonic plates may have been discovered 400km down in the earth’s mantle.
3. The struggle to repopulate towns close to the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
1. The harsh reality of life in Africa’s slums.
2. A solution to poor connectivity in diaster areas?
3. A trio of Lake District peaks have been lit up by hundreds of volunteers raising money for those affected by an earthquake in Nepal in 2015.
4. Cheap ways to tackle malaria
- Britain has just experienced it’s first day without coal helping to supply electricity to the nation since the Industrial Revolution.
2. Satellites will now be used more extensively to monitor when volcanoes may erupt
3. Not another election…. What will election 2017 mean for the UK?
4. The aftermath of a tornado in Illinois, USA
1. Know your ACs from your EDCs and LIDCs:
2. Vitamin B may protect against air pollution
3. Phreatic eruption on Etna catches BBC crew unawares.Scary clip!
4. Innovative new drug can reduce hearts attacks and strokes dramatically by cutting bad cholesterol.
What does a slice of pahoehoe lava look like? This:
Coastal erosion in action on Malta’s coast.
Landfill landslide kills 35 in Ethiopia.